In the past, shopping for a new mattress and its corresponding accessories was easy. However, as the bedding industry expands and new technologically-advanced materials are introduced, the choices have become overwhelming. It can be hard to figure out which mattress accessories are best for your sleep needs. For instance, should you purchase a mattress pad or a mattress protector? Are they different, or do they offer the same benefits? Read on to learn the fundamental differences between these two mattress accessories and which might be best for you.
What is a Mattress Pad?
A mattress pad is a barrier between the sleeper and the mattress cover. Pads add a layer, usually about an inch thick, of comfort and are attached to the mattress by a fitted sheet or strap design. A mattress topper is a thicker pad, at about three to four inches.
The goal of mattress pads is to increase the comfort or adjust the firmness of your mattress. Pads are great for those who:
- Require extra support for medical reasons
- Have an old mattress they aren’t ready to replace yet
- Desire the protection benefits of a mattress protector, but want extra comfort
- Have a mattress that is too firm or too soft, and they want to adjust the firmness
- Want to keep allergens and bacteria off of their mattress’ surface
The fill of mattress pads and toppers can be memory foam, latex, cotton, and more. A mattress topper will be more expensive than a pad because it contains more material.
What is a Mattress Protector?
A mattress protector is a cotton or polyester sheet designed to keep the mattress surface clean. It is often an inch or less thick and weighs less than five pounds. Protectors are often secured with elastic, like a fitted sheet, but some called “full encasement” protectors will zip over the mattress.
Most mattress protectors are waterproof and help wick sweat and moisture away from the mattress. A mattress protector doesn’t alter the feel of the bed much since its primary purpose is to keep allergens, dust mites, and bacteria from touching the mattress. You may invest in a mattress protector if:
- You want a contaminant barrier
- You want to shield your mattress from perspiration, spills, and other liquids
- You live in a humid region and want to protect your mattress from developing mold
- You want to keep your mattress topper in place
- You want something hypoallergenic that won’t disrupt your sleep
- You want to protect yourself from bed bug infestations
- You want to extend the life of your mattress
Mattress protectors often cost less than mattress pads and toppers, but they will not affect your mattress’s feel or comfort.
Which Is Best For You?
If you recently purchased a new mattress and want to protect your investment, a mattress protector may be best. However, if you have an old mattress that doesn’t quite have the comfort you desire, you may consider buying a mattress pad or topper. Consider your specific needs and budget when you are deciding which mattress accessory to purchase.
Sleep Well With A Mattress From All American Mattress
At All American Mattress, we have the expertise and great prices to help you choose the perfect pillows and foam mattress for your bedroom. We have mattresses and bed frames available made from a variety of materials to suit your needs, whatever they are. Stop by our showroom, visit us online, or give us a call at (410) 451-9006 to see how we can get your toddler sleeping through the night. We offer brand names at affordable prices, and we will always work hard to keep your whole family comfortable. For more mattress shopping tips, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.