The average mattress will last you about seven years before requiring a replacement. However, some beds that experience more wear and tear can lose support faster, while other mattresses when well-taken care of can last even longer than seven years. If you are concerned about when you should replace your mattress, read on to understand behaviors that wear out mattresses, warning signs, and how you can make your mattress last longer.
What Causes Mattresses to Decline in Quality?
Several factors contribute to mattress deterioration, including the following:
- Normal wear and tear
- Insufficient support from the box spring, foundation, frame, or base
- Rough-housing from children or pets
- Exposure to the elements, particularly very hot or cold temperatures
Signs It’s Time to Replace Your Mattress
You are likely ready to replace your mattress if you notice any of the tell-tale signs of damage:
- Deep body impressions that make the bed feel less supportive
- You have new aches and pains in your neck, shoulders, back, hips, or other parts of your body.
- You have started to sleep hot when previously temperature regulation wasn’t an issue.
- You notice significant sinkage along the edge of the bed when you get in and out.
- The coils in your innerspring or hybrid mattress have become louder, creating squeaks and creaks.
- Your mattress is seven years old, in which case you may soon start seeing damages.
How You Can Make Your Mattress Last Longer
If you don’t want to replace your mattress any sooner than its seven-year lifespan, you can take the following steps to keep your bed in good shape.
- Rotate your mattress regularly, every three to six months, to keep body impressions from forming
- Use a mattress topper to increase your comfort as well as protect the surface from impressions
- Evaluate your support system, making sure it’s size matches your mattress and that it is not out of date
- Use pillows to even your surface
- Maintain a hygienic bedroom, which protects your mattress from dust mites, mold, and other damaging contaminants.
By taking care of your mattress and paying attention to warning signs of damage, you can get plenty of use from your bed before the time comes after several years to replace your mattress.
Sleep Well With A Mattress From All American Mattress
At All American Mattress, we have the expertise and great prices to help you choose the perfect pillows and foam mattress for your bedroom. We have mattresses and bed frames available made from a variety of materials to suit your needs, whatever they are. Stop by our showroom, visit us online, or give us a call at (410) 451-9006 to see how we can get your toddler sleeping through the night. We offer brand names at affordable prices, and we will always work hard to keep your whole family comfortable. For more mattress shopping tips, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.