While many of us may never think about the height of our bed, it can play a significant role in our comfort and sleep experience. In fact, you may have a preference for your ideal bed height without even realizing it. Everyone has a preferred height, which may be different than the average bed height. If you want to learn more about the average bed height for people, and what your ideal height could be, read on.
What is the Best Bed Height?
As a general rule, your bed height should be proportionate to your overall height. This is because you don’t want to feel an unnecessary strain on your body when you get out of bed in the morning, and you don’t want to have to lift your body into bed every night.
A bed that is too high or low, especially when you are older, can put a strain on your body and lead to joint pain. For most people, the best bed height will be about knee-level, about 16 to 24 inches off of the ground. At this bed height, people can put both feet firmly on the ground and push off the bed with their knees bent.
What to Consider When Selecting Your Bed Frame Height
Before you settle on a bed height, it is crucial to consider your frame type. The most popular bed frame types are listed below, with suggestions on how high to make your mattress.
- Platform Bed: these beds are typically 18 inches off the ground, but their storage options are limited. These may not be the best option for tall or older adults, as you have to squat a little to get up.
- Traditional Bed: Typically, about 25 inches off the ground, this frame often requires a box spring to make the mattress more comfortable. This pairs well with taller ceilings.
- Antique Beds: Older beds tend to be close to 36 inches off the ground. They can provide lots of storage and a dramatic look, but they can be challenging to get on or off.
- Adjustable Base Bed: Adjustable base beds range in height from 12 to 18 inches off the ground, and lets you choose between a low and mid-height bed base option.
Is Your Current Bed Height Right for You?
To test whether your current bed height is right for you, follow these steps:
- Sit on the edge of your bed, and let your feet hang down.
- If your knees fall below your hips, your bed is too low. But, if your feet dangle without touching the floor, your bed is too high.
If you want to imagine a different bed height, you can find an 18-inch dining chair or a 24-inch or 30-inch bar stool and test whether you can get on and off that chair without much strain. If you run into problems, you may have difficulty getting into and out of a bed that height every day.
Sleep Well With A Mattress From All American Mattress
At All American Mattress, we have the expertise and great prices to help you choose the perfect pillows and foam mattress for your bedroom. We have mattresses and bed frames available made from a variety of materials to suit your needs, whatever they are. Stop by our showroom, visit us online, or give us a call at (410) 451-9006 to see how we can get your toddler sleeping through the night. We offer brand names at affordable prices, and we will always work hard to keep your whole family comfortable. For more mattress shopping tips, be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.